What is it?
KidsMatter Primary is a flexible, whole-school approach to improving student’s mental health and wellbeing for primary schools. It can be tailored to our schools' needs.
KidsMatter Primary is founded on respectful relationships and a sense of belonging and inclusion and promotes:
- social and emotional learning (including evidence-based social and emotional learning programs)
- working authentically with parents, carers and families
- support for students who may be experiencing mental health difficulties.
Why is it needed?
Mental health and wellbeing is vital for learning and life. Students who are mentally healthy learn better, benefit from life experiences and have stronger relationships with family members, school staff and peers. Good mental health in childhood also provides a solid foundation for:
- managing the transition to adolescence and adulthood
- engaging successfully in education
- making a meaningful contribution to society.
After their family, school is the most significant developmental context for primary school-aged children. Schools play a crucial role in building children's self-esteem and sense of competence. They can also act as a safety net and assist in protecting children from circumstances that affect their learning, development and wellbeing. Schools, working closely with families and the community, are key environments for comprehensively supporting children's mental health and wellbeing.